The Dead Sea Marathon and World Wonders of Jordan
6-9 February 2020
This journey combines my favorite three elements that make this tour such a wonderful experience: Nature, Culture and Challenge. Each element is revealed in all its glory: the natural landscape of Wadi Rum, one of the world's most stunning and unique setting and a breathtaking beauty that amazes even the most seasoned world travelers; the Nabataean culture, the awe-inspiring cliff carved temples and monasteries, and the ancient city of Petra that was selected as one of the seven wonders of the world for a reason; and completed with the ultimate challenge of the Dead Sea Marathon attracting every year thousands of runners from Israel and the world - a one of a kind experience as we exercise and prepare ourselves for the run, each according to the course of their choice.
Daily Itinerary (subject to change)
Thursday: Tel Aviv – Ein Bokek. A designated bus will drive us directly to our hotel in Ein Bokek by the Dead Sea. We will spend the evening preparing for the Dead Sea Marathon event: room allocation, race packet pick up, race briefing, and of course the traditional pre-race pasta dinner. This year races include 10K Run, 21.1K Half Marathon, 42.2K Marathon, and 50K UltraMarathon. The start and finish lines are set on Ein Bokek northern promenade.
Friday: Ein Bokek – Dead Sea Marathon – Wadi Rum. After a good night's sleep, we will wake up for breakfast at the hotel's dining room. 42.2K Marathon and 50K UltraMarathon start time is at 06:00, 21.1K Half Marathon starts at 06:30 and 10K Run at 07:00. After a successful completion of this challenge, we will take some time to refresh before we get on the bus towards the Israel-Jordan border crossing. Tourists flow and bureaucracy may require some patience but eventually we will cross the border and get on a bus that will take us towards Wadi Rum. After about an hour and a half drive we will reach our first destination, explore the 3 Mount Sodom and Edom Mountains – Nature, Culture, Challenge area at sunset on the back of a camel, and enjoy an unforgettable evening and night at one of the most amazing places on Earth.
Saturdy: Wadi Rum – Petra. After breakfast, a 4X4 ride will lead us through the main sites of this spectacular desert nature reserve where we will also venture to explore several selected footpaths offering a superb bird's eye view of this Martian like landscape. In the afternoon, we will begin the drive towards our hotel in the red rock city of Petra.
Sunday: Petra – Tel Aviv. After a pampering night in the most charming hotel, we will launch a memorable day exploring one of the Seven Wonders of the World – the ancient city of Petra. Spanning over a vast area it requires several days to visit all that this site has to offer however, our tour will include the main attractions as well as a stop for lunch and refreshments. As the weather in early February may be cold, we will stay tuned to the weather forecast to dress appropriately. From Petra, we will head back towards the border crossing, about an hour and a half drive. We will cross the border back to Israel and get on the bus that will take us back to Tel Aviv.
Check Notes Before Setting Off
• Preparing together for the half marathon/full marathon is important but to ensure a good and satisfying experience at the Dead Sea we will each have to prepare independently as well. As is well known, the journey is just as important as reaching our destination, so we will make it a fascinating and outstanding journey with new and intriguing running sites.
• This marathon course is not a standard paved road, and even if indeed it is quite leveled with hardly any uphill and downhill, still there are more than enough challenges to prepare for. The event is a wonderful experience in itself, a splendid production with cheerleaders, music, and runners from Israel and around the world.
• A pre-journey briefing will be held for updates and general information regarding insurance, required equipment and more.
• It is no longer that cold in this area during February. The weather conditions are actually perfect for trekking and hiking at this time of year as it is not too cold at the peaks and not too hot at low areas. However, the weather can change radically. Across the Jordanian desert as well as on the high mountains of Jordan it may get extremely cold and we need to be prepared for it. In the days before our journey, we will get the weather updates to prepare accordingly.
Dead Sea Marathon & World Wonders of Jordan journey package includes:
- A designated bus from Tel Aviv to Ein Bokek to Israel-Jordan border crossing and back to Tel Aviv
- Boutique hotel accommodation in Ein Bokek, bed and breakfast
- Excursions and attractions according to itinerary with an accompanying tourist vehicle
- Transportation in Jordan from and to the border crossing
- 4X4 tour in Wadi Rum
- Camel tour in Wadi Rum
- Entrance fees to sites in Petra and Wadi Rum
- High-quality tourist tent full board accommodation in Wadi Rum
- High-quality hotel accommodation in Petra
Double room per person - 1080 Euro // NIS 4260
(Include transportation from Tel Aviv and back after the weekend)
Full package without transportation per person - 942 Euro // NIS 3720
(Without transportation from Tel Aviv and back)
From booking date until 60 days prior to journey set date – 600 ILS
60-31 days prior to journey set date – 50% of full price
30-15 days prior to journey set date – 75% of full price
14 days or less prior to journey set date – full price
Dead Sea Marathon & World Wonders of Jordan journey package does not include:
Registration costs for the Dead Sea Marathon, border crossing and visa costs, personal and liability insurance, personal expenses, tips for service providers (approximately 100 ILS to be collected at the beginning of the journey), access fees to sites outside the program. Emergency evacuation or medical expenses, additional expenses incurred as a result of untimely termination of journey due to personal reasons, gifts and expenses of a personal nature and items not specified as included in this package.
World Wonders of Jordan journey package:
If you wish to skip the Dead Sea and only interested in joining us for the journey in Jordan you are welcome to book the Jordan Journey package – for more information please contact us.
For more information, please do not hesitate to contact:
Daniel Keren +972-544-345600 http://DanielKeren.com